Setting Up Your Own Camera
Do I need Additional Equipment or Accessories?
When recording, the camera must stay in one position the whole game and have enough battery to last a full game, or more, depending on if your at a tournament.
We suggest the following equipment.
Links to Recommended Equipment
Tripod – REQUIRED TO FILM
Tall / Heavy Duty Tripod
Friction Grip Arm: for versatile placement on fences, poles, chairs etc
External Battery Pack
For GoPro cameras, you will also need an SD USB reader, like:
What is the equipment needed
- Wide angle, 4K action cam
- Storage card for your cam, usually microSD
- Mounting gear suitable for your venue
- Battery pack, to support a few hours of recording time
How do I know which mounting gear I need?
Alternatively you can use any other relevant mounting gear. The adequate gear depends mainly on your venue type. For ideal recording, you need to:
- Place the camera in a high enough place above the player’s height
- Be at a distance that will enable to capture the whole court
Guidelines for choosing the right mounting gear:
- If your venue has a Gallery/Bleaches/elevated seating area, you can use a short mast, tripod or friction arm
- If you are mounting the camera close to the court’s line, or at field level, use a stand/mast that can get up to at least 10’
In cases you can mount on a distant fence, a friction arm may be an ideal choice
Can’t get the camera mounted on the battery pack grip
When connecting the camera to a battery pack, the cam does not charge
- Sometimes the data cable does not charge the cam
- Sometimes the data cable gets the cam confused it is connected to a PC
When connecting a GoPro camera to a battery pack, the cam does not charge while recording.
This will also help the camera to less heat up.
Can't disconnect the camera or battery pack grip from the tripod.
Recording Your Game
Why do I see motion blur on my produced video?
My camera's screen seemed to turn off during recording - is this ok? Is my camera still recording?
Camera stops recording after ~40 minutes or so - how can I fix that?
Can I move away with the mobile device (with camera app) while the camera is recording?
Why doesn't my cam move during recording?
My camera's mobile app stopped working or not connecting to the camera
- You might need to get near the camera, so the mobile device can connect to the camera’s hotspot WiFi network. In some cases, you may need to disconnect from the current WiFi connection, so the mobile device will connect to the camera
- Camera may be turned off – check if it is on by viewing the camera’s status LED (if the camera has turned off, it might be because its battery is low)
- If you recently updated the OS of your mobile device, you may need to update the camera’s mobile app. In some cases, you may need to uninstall and reinstall the camera’s mobile app
- You may need to enter your device WiFi settings, forget the camera’s hotspot network, and re-connect to the Camera’s network
Specifically for Yi mobile app and iOS 13:
- Follow the instruction in this video for setting it up
- After installing the app, make sure to trust the Yi vendor, in the General -> Profiles settings
- Make sure to grant Location Services to the app (prompted on first trial to connect to the camera)
I do not see that the camera is moving during recording, so how does it make the automatic production?
Can I stop recording and resume during a game?
During a game, how do I see if the cam is still recording, and the status
There is a flickering and reflections in the view of the cam.
- Try to tilt the cam a bit / change angle, where you still see the court. Manually change the exposure settings of the cam to a bit darker. Consider a different mounting location.
- Make sure that your camera’s video setting is set correctly for your region – NTSC (30FPS) for US, PAL (25FPS) for Europe.
Can’t see the camera screen in order to setup and start/stop recording
Image quality is very low & looks like it is out of focus
- Remove any protective film from the cam lens
- Clean cam lens with a suitable cleaning cloth
- Record a short video to verify that the issue is resolved
Do I need WiFi to record?
Where do I place the camera?
- As close as possible to the mid-line
- Beyond the head height of the players
- As close as possible where the cam sees the whole court, preferably all 4 corners
- A safe place that will not disturb or be a hazard to others, and will not get hit
- Avoid setting the camera in a place that it will have direct light/sunlight that may disturb/blind the camera’s view
Uploading Game Film
Pixellot Uploader does not identify that I have connected a camera to my computer.
- Camera is turned off –> turn camera on
- A problem with the camera’s USB data cable –> try to use another cable
- Camera’s storage card (like MicroSD) is not in the camera –> insert the memory card to the camera
Our power went out and internet is down. Do I need to restart the upload or it will pick back up once it is reconnected?
I left my PC to upload, when came back saw that the upload has failed or got stuck.
Uploading seems to not progress, but does not appear stuck
Having trouble to login to the Pixellot Uploader
- You signed-up to Pixellot You and have your account credentials with you
- Have internet access from your PC/MAC
- You used your correct You credentials, if needed, use the reset password option
- If you have received a notification that your subscription package run out, log-in to your account at www.you.pixellot.tv and manage your subscription
After downloading the Pixellot Uploader, where do I find the installation file on my PC/MAC?
How do I upload my game, so I can get the automatic production and highlights videos?
Viewing & Sharing
How do I share videos?
- From the app – go to the specific video of your game, highlights, clips, and use the share option in the function menu. This will generate a link that you can then send to share your video.
- From the web player, you can also use the share function and share the video
You can also forward a video link you received to others, and they will be able to view it on the on the web